Okay, I'm not a super huge enchilada person. I like them once in a while, mainly when its really cold outside. Then I found this recipe. AMAZING! I'm not sure where I got it, but it is so good. I will never use canned again.
3 TBSP oil
2 TBSP flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1 TBSP cumin
~Combine in large pot over medium heat, whisking until bubbly. Add:
2 cups beef broth
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 tsp oregano
1 clove minced garlic
Salt to your liking
Simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use in place of canned enchilada sauce. I didn't do the whole 1/4 cup of chili powder and it still had good flavor. Its not a hot or spicy sauce, just a warm heat. Seriously, its so good. :)
(I do the tomato sauce first, and then add some beef broth to the empty can and swish it around to get all the leftover sauce on the sides and bottom.)
This would be good with your Imitation Cafe Rio or with my Cafe Rio Pork Burritos.
I had some shredded pork in the crock pot the other night, wasn't sure what to do with it, so I whipped up this sauce and instead of making and baking the enchiladas (takes forever!) I just did it the quick way!
In Order:
Tortilla
Meat
Smother in sauce
Cheese
Rolled it up
Smothered in more sauce and cheese
Shredded Lettuce
Pico de Gallo and Voila! Super easy and super yummy!!!
*You could always add beans and rice as part of the filling too.
I will have to try this... after I used the can in my pantry LOL
ReplyDelete