Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pina Colada Fruit Salad

This is so simple and super yummy! We all loved it!
I found this in one of my old cooking magazines.

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups green grapes
  • 1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1-1/2 cups halved fresh strawberries
  • 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained (I used the big can, 16 oz I think?)
  • 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
  • 1 can (10 ounces) frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup pineapple-orange juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract

Directions

  • In a serving bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the pina colada mix, sugar, juice and extracts until sugar is dissolved. Pour over fruit; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 9 servings.
~I didn't measure out the fruit, I just did a bunch of grapes, probably close to 2 cups of each and a bunch of strawberries. I omitted the blueberries and instead put in a big can of drained mandarin oranges. If you are going to eat it all at once, sliced bananas would go nicely too. Also all I could find was pineapple-orange-banana juice so I substituted that. It was so so so good! This can be tweaked very easily to your likes and what you have on hand. It makes a ton of "sauce", I could have easily halved it. And its pretty sweet, I think next time I'll cut the sugar amount in half or omit it all together. Definitely a new favorite! Could easily be served as a desert over angel food cake or even frozen yogurt - the sauce is that good!

1 comment: