Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Slow Cooker Stuffing


From Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups cubed day-old white bread
  • 6 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Progresso ® Chicken Broth

Directions

  • In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in the seasonings. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Add vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Stir in broth.
  • Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
* I halved it since I was just testing it out. I omitted the mushrooms, used dried parsley, ground sage, and no marjoram since I didn't have it on hand. I didn't have any regular poultry seasoning so I just used McCormick Montreal Chicken.

It turned out really good! My smaller crock pot cooks really hot and fast so I checked it after 2 hours and it was done. So I just turned it to warm and stirred it every 30 mins so it wouldn't burn. I was worried it would be super soggy, but it wasn't. The edge pieces were crispy and the middle was perfect. Dallas keeps asking me when I'm going to make it again. We loved it!

1 comment: