Monday, July 19, 2010

Emeril's Kicked-Up Tuna Melts



From Everyday Food

Serves 4

* 4 cans (5 ounces each) solid white tuna packed in water, drained
* 1/3 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
* 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
* 4 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers
* 4 slices crusty bread
* 8 thin slices tomato
* 4 slices provolone

Directions

1. Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir until thoroughly combined.
2. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread a little mayonnaise on each slice. Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices tomato and 1 slice cheese. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.

~Simple, yummy, and perfect for a fast summer night dinner!

~I halved it, only using 2 cans of tuna and omitted the capers, yuck!, and I got 6 sandwiches out of it. I just used a small loaf of sourdough bread - next time I will toast the bread a little first. It would probably be good with canned chicken too.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I LOVE tuna. So sad I can only eat 12 oz a week haha!
    I will start cooking more and adding to this blog when school is out in 4 days! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete