Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chicken Tostadas

I am giving up on taking pictures! It just doesn't look good on my glass plates.

Chicken Tostadas
*courtesy of my Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Slow Cooking

2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
8 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
3 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 tsp bottled hot sauce
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs

-Place chicken and onions in slow cooker. (I used my smaller one and greased it.) Combine jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, lime juice, and hot sauce and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, high 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
-Remove chicken and onions from slow cooker, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking juices. Using two forks, shred chicken. In medium bowl, combine chicken, onion and reserved juice. (I didn't have that much juice left so I just shredded it in the crock pot and turned it to warm until Dall got home.)

1 can fat-free refried beans (I warmed mine first)
Tostada shells (I used the crunchy stand and stuff taco shells)
Shredded cheese
Lettuce
Salsa
Sour Cream
Olives

-Spread beans on shell, top with hot chicken mixture and cheese, and then layer ingredients however you want!

*Don't skimp on the spices! I only used 1 jalapeno and dumped in a bunch of chili powder and garlic and while it still had good flavor, but it was pretty mild. Next time, I will do it all! I have started adding some chipotle spice to add more flavor. You could use the powder or about 1 TBS chopped of the chipotle in adobo sauce.
*Tonight we are having leftovers and I am making your yummy rice to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment