Friday, March 26, 2010

Mexican Rice

Another success from Food Network Mag.
This was SOO good! Sadly I am pictureless again.. Oh well. You have to try this! Its so easy and so good. I half the recipe and its perfect for us.

*Ingredients
2 c. long grain white rice (I admit... I use minute rice and it works just great)
3 T vegitable oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
4 plum tomatoes (although I could only find cherry tomatoes so I used quite a few of them)
1 jalepeno pepper, halved (or a more mild pepper if you dont want the heat)

*Directions
- Soak rice in a bowl of hot water, about 5 minutes, drain, rince, and shake dry (omit this step if you use minte rice!)
- Heat the vegi oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the rice and toast, stirring for 8-10 min.
Meanwhile puree the garlic, onion, and tomatoes in a blender (it doesnt say to but I also add the jalepeno in this step, it seemed to give it more flavor). Add to rice mixture and cook until absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add 3 1/2 c. water, the jalepeno (if you didnt add it to the puree mixture), and a pinch of salt (I added more... it needed it!). Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 10 min.
- Remove from heat, uncover and place a towell over the rice then recover. Let stand 15 min. (I didnt do this step once and it turned out fine. I think its just to make it more sticky)
-Fluff rice with a fork.

1 comment: