Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Veggie Chicken Nuggets - Homemade

(Not the best pic, but I hope you can see the veggies in there!)

Okay, I have a lot to say about this recipe! From Cheeky Kitchen (click to see her post, way better than mine!)

1 (14 oz.) package California Veggies, thawed and drained
1 egg
1/2 lb. ground chicken (or turkey)
1 tsp. onion salt
2 c. panko bread crumbs
Salt & pepper to taste
Put the veggies and egg in a blender. Blend until pureed. Pour puree into a large bowl. Add the ground chicken and onion salt. Mix together with a fork until well mixed. On a large cutting board, spread a thin layer of the panko crumbs, salt and pepper them lightly. Spread chicken mixture on top of the crumb mixture until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Sprinkle more panko crumbs, salt, and pepper on top of the chicken mixture.
Transfer to a cookie sheet which has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes, or just until the chicken is cooked through.

We loved these! Carter downed them and even Dallas liked them! And they have lots of veggies in them so I was happy.

***I have found the easiest way for me to make these is to just shape the chicken/veggie mixture in my palm and then dip it into the panko. Also we love the lemon pepper panko crumbs for these. It takes some extra time to individually shape each nugget (I do bigger patties for me and Dallas) but the boys love these and I love that they are eating veggies without knowing it!
Overall, so worth the extra effort and will be making these regularly!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment