Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Easy Chocolate Cake

I admit, I am a cake mix snob. Didn't grow up with 'em, still don't use 'em. I think they taste weird. So when a birthday or some occasion rolls around that calls for a cake, this is the one recipe I always use. So simple and easy, turns out perfect every time- it makes me wonder why people even use a cake mix??

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup baking cocoa
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of pan with shortening. Lightly flour.
*Jan's trick I learned from her - get a huge wad of saran wrap, grab a glob of shortening and smear it all over the pan. Keeps your hands clean!

Beat all ingredients in mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping the sides constantly. (Let's be honest, its not that easy to do, but that's what the recipe says.)

Beat on high for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.

Baking times:
9x13 - 40 to 45 mins
round pans - 30-35 mins
Done when toothpick comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack, remove cakes from pans to wire rack (I don't when I do a 9x13), cool for an hour. Frost!

I don't like to use dark non-stick pans when I bake, they mess everything up, so I stick with the shiny silver pans for my cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment