Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Toasted Artichoke Sandwiches


Another recipe from Simple and Delicious

  • 4 Servings
  • Prep/Total Time: 20 min.

Ingredients

  • 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil (I used olive oil)
  • 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
  • 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
  • 8 spinach leaves
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions

  • In a large skillet, saute the artichokes, pepper and onion in oil until tender; stir in cheese. Remove from the heat.
  • In a food processor, combine mayonnaise and tomatoes; cover and process until finely chopped.
  • Spread four bread slices with half of the mayonnaise mixture; layer with a spinach leaf, artichoke mixture and remaining spinach. Spread remaining bread with mayonnaise mixture; place on top. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
  • On a griddle, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
*I used a yellow pepper cause that's all I had, I'm sure it doesn't matter either way, I wonder if roasted red peppers from a jar would be good in this. I didn't stir the cheese into the veggies, I waited until I put the veggies on the sandwich and then sprinkled the cheese on top of that. I got 3 sandwiches out of this and I think I have enough leftover for 2 more for lunch tomorrow. I bought a loaf of Italian bread already pre-sliced at the store so the slices would be super thin and then I skipped the butter part and just grilled these on my panini grill. I couldn't find sun dried tomatoes packed in water, so I just bought the ones packed in oil and rinsed them off.
*Dall was skeptical when I was making them, but he loved them and said this recipe is definetely a keeper! I loved them too, by the way.... :)

1 comment:

  1. I love artichokes and Im always looking for ways to use them... I can only ever think of pasta. Yum! Ill have to try these! AND the drink above. It looks SOO good right now!

    ReplyDelete